By understanding where the data comes from (Suppler), what it is used for (Customer) and what is done to the data on its trip from supplier to the customer (Process), you can:
- Understand the requirements that the customer has for the data
- Understand the rules governing how the data is provided
- Determine the gap between what is required and what is provided
- Track the root cause of data failures – both of type and of quality
- Create requirements for modifying the processes that move the data
The SIPOC can be applied at many levels of detail. At a high level, for example, batch data is used to determine supply. At a detailed level, a rule for calculating a data element can result in an unexpected number because of a condition that was not anticipated.